SEND Drop-in Session
On Thursday 19th September, we held our first drop-in this year for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). We are really pleased with the engagement of the parents who joined us and would like to say thank you to all those who attended. From this session, we will be using the discussions that we had to further develop our practice and vision for SEND at Bomere Heath.
One of the areas highlighted today, was that parents and carers may not be aware of the support we offer within school and the skills of the staff who work with your children. As a Federation, we are proud of the professional development our staff undertake, and I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some of the areas in which our staff are trained.
- Mr Field, Mrs Maycock and Mrs Viner have undertaken Mental Health First Aid training, and we are were one of the first schools in Shropshire to have a designated Mental Health Lead.
- All staff have undertaken Autism Level 1 training, and Mrs Gregory has also completed the Level 2 and 3 training.
- Mrs Horton, Mrs Ball and Mrs Gregoryhave all undertaken Levels 1 and 2 of Attachment Training, and the rest of the staff will have completed this training before October half term.
- Mrs Horton is about to undertake ELSA training, which is designed to support children with their emotional literacy.
- Mrs Maycock is trained to deliver the No Worries programme; a cognitive behavioural therapy approach to supporting children with their anxieties.
- Mrs Gregory is trained to deliver Lego Build to Express sessions and has shared this method with Mrs Maycock.
Additionally, there are several interventions that your child may take part in, and in which all members of the support staff are trained in delivering. These include:
- Toe by Toe – a structured programme to support struggling readers.
- Plus One/Power of Two – a structured programme to support children who find maths difficult.
- Nessy – an interactive, personalised programme to support children with reading and spelling.
- Memory Fix – a programme designed to help children develop their memory skills.
- Talkabout – a series of interventions to develop self-awareness, self-esteem and social skills
- Write from the Start – a fine motor programme to support the development of handwriting.
- Speed Up – a programme to support children finding handwriting difficult.
- Volcano in my Tummy – activities to support children in managing their anger.
- Precision Teaching – personalised support to help accelerate progress in reading or maths.
- Additional Phonics Support
We will be holding our next drop-in session in the Spring Term, but in the meantime if you have any questions regarding SEND at Bomere Heath, please feel free to come and ask or send me an e-mail via the school office.