Good morning Wrekin stars!
Ant and Dec and David Walliams have teamed up with the NSPCC to bring you a virtual assembly today at 9.30 – YOU WILL NEED PARENTAL PERMISSION TO WATCH IT as it is hosted on Facebook. It is part of the Speak Out, Stay Safe work that the NSPCC do in primary schools, and you have already taken part – do you remember Buddy? Yes, of course you do! You will probably know the facts included in the assembly, but the Families Minister Vicky Ford MP will be answering questions from children your age about how Covid-19 has affected children in the UK – here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/nspcc/videos/742538003230159/ (remember to check with parents/carers first) I would recommend you watch it with parents/carers in case there is anything you wish to discuss
Have you been watching the news this week? Here is a very important story that has been evolving during the week – you may have seen it on the news, but this article will help you fully understand the background to what is happening George Floyd
There have been so many other stories around the world, and many in the UK – but have you remembered them? Here is a quiz from Newsround to test your knowledge https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51318780
Here are your Friday activities:
- Maths (for both Year 5 and 6): The weekly challenges! https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zk66dp3
- English – Learn how to plan and write a story – I would be pleased to see them!
- D&T – You may have already done about cams in school, but here is a really good guide to how they work (they are used in so many mechanical devices – including engines – but are usually hidden away!) https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zktckmn
- It is World Environment day today – here is a Newsround story about it to explain!
- Take this amazing World Environment Day Quiz
- One of the most endangered animals in the world is the orangutan – your Friday Project is to do a poster/factfile/report about the orangutan, but making sure that you are clear about why and how it is under threat – here are some links to help you: Basic facts: https://www.dkfindout.com/uk/animals-and-nature/primates/orang-utans/ and https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/discover/animals/general-animals/ten-facts-about-orang-utans/ and for threats: https://www.wwf.org.uk/learn/wildlife/orangutans
I hope you find today’s work interesting – have a good go at the maths, and try to get onto the NSPCC Assembly online, after checking with the grown-ups!
If any Year 6s (there are 3!) who haven’t sent in their transition forms to Mrs Winwood, please do it today!