Today we are launching our ‘Reading Challenge’ and this time we have linked your child’s reading to several journeys around the world.
It’s not that easy to travel at the moment but we are thinking about people all over the world. Why not read your way around the world with the Reading Miles Global Challenge.
Collect 500 reading miles for every 30 minutes you spend reading, with a parent, carer, or your brother or sister. You could even video call your relatives and read aloud to them. You just need a signature, amount of time read and time you read at. Collect reading miles in a special reading passport on your very own reading world tour – a whopping 33,000 miles in total! Reading counts between 8am and 7pm.
The challenge is split into seven journeys, each of which finishes in a ‘checkpoint city’.
The following resources are available to download and print off to enable you to take part in the challenge.
• A wall map of the world charting the Reading Miles Global Challenge route
• A passport to record the reading
• A certificate for when you complete the challenge
• Postcards which you can complete when you reach checkpoint cities.
• All children that complete the each journey challenge will have their names entered into the draw to win the reading challenge box of goodies. Complete all 7 journeys and you will have 7 entries, so a much better chance of winning.
The passport will be kept in school and updated by the class teacher.
We hope you will enjoy and support us with this reading challenge.
Mrs Sallie Roberts – Deputy Headteacher